It was a magnificent concert by Prince Rama Varma, playing to a packed hall at PS 115 on Saturday, May 22. S.Varadarajan accompanied brilliantly on the violin while Patri Satish Kumar stole the show with an awesome display of fireworks on the Mridangam.
The concert began with Gajavadana Beduve (Gambheeranaata, Purandaradasa). But in the hands of the Prince, this was no sedate starting piece. With a fiery rounds of swaras, the krithi made the audience sit up and burst into applause at the last round, even before the violin reply! The second song was the 40 minute long sub main piece, Abba Ramabhakti (Panthuvarali, Thyagaraja). There was no neraval, but an extra long round of swaras at "kapi vaaridhi daatuna", interrupted several times by applause. A few short pieces later, he took up his guru Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr.M. Balamuralikrishna’s krithi "Omkaaraakarini" as the Main Piece (in the 4 note ragam Lavangi also discovered by Dr.BMK). Once again, the torrent of swaras kept the audience hooked. The tani by Patri Satish Kumar was broken up no less than three times by wild applause!
All in all, it was a very satisfying performance by all the three artists, and brought Shruti Laya’s spring season to a grand conclusion.
01. Gajavadana Beduve - Gambheera Nata - Purandaradasa|
02. Abba raamabhakti enthO goppara - Panthuvarali - Thyagaraja (sub Main)
03. Annapurne Visaalakshi - Sama - Muthuswamy Dikshitar
04. Nenarunchinaanu annitiki - Malavi - Thyagaraja
05. Omkaraakaarini - Lavangi - Balamuralikrishna (Main)
06. Sreerama namam maruvam - Folk - Ramadasu
07. Aliveni enduchaivom - Kurinji - Swathi Tirunal
08. Balaa tripurasundari kaikonu - Prayaga Ranga Dasa
09. Saagara Sayana - Bageshri - M.D.Ramanathan
10. Sarvam Brahmamayam - Janjuti - Sadasiva Brahmendral
11. Tillana - Kadanakuthoohalam - Balamuralikrishna